Have a razor that needs to be fixed, polished and plated in a new metal? Revamp it!
WHAT WE DO
Finding a vintage razor online or at an antique store can be fun and an economical way to try out some of the classic performing models. However what do you do with the pitts, rust, worn plating and broken components that sometimes come with it? We designed our Revamp Service to address all of these issues and deliver to you a vintage razor that looks and functions like it just left the factory floor!
HOW IT WORKS
- We first clean your razor in our industrial ultrasonic machine to remove any soap scum, mineral deposits and grime. Disassembly is carried out for the best results.
- Razor is stripped of original plating using a gentle chemical bath.
- All areas of the razor are then resurfaced; removing minor scratches and minor dents that could have formed over the years.
- Next we carefully polish the inside and out of your razor, bringing the vintage metal up to a high luster.
- Mechanical adjustments are made to ensure the best functionality of your razor.
- We then plate the razor in-house using the desired material of your choice (see below) at 8 micro-inches- thicker than Gillette and nearly 3 times that of any other plating facility today for Rhodium or 24K Gold.
- On all color features (numbers on adjusters, tips on super speeds, black handles, black lines on fatboys, etc.) we use color-matched Powder Coating that exactly replicates the original factory colors and process and is more durable than paint.
- Razors are again cleaned and sanitized before being lubricated and mailed back home. We include a free POLISHING CLOTH that will safely keep the shine on your vintage find!
WHY IT MATTERS
- We fix 'em. As expert collectors, we're qualified to perform mechanical adjustments to make your razor function as it was intended to from the factory wherever possible
- We resurface the metal. Plating alone would be like painting a hail-damaged car
- Longer lasting. We plate 2-3 Times thicker than anyone else
- Razors arrive Shave Ready. We clean, polish, lubricate, paint, test and sanitize all razors before they're sent back to you
- We stand behind our work. If you ever have an issue with your revamped razor, send it to us and we'll make things right
With thousands of razors successfully revamped, we have a fairly good idea of what is achievable from this process. The best results come from razors made of brass or stainless steel. This includes nearly every razor from Gillette and many other vintage brands. We prefer not to work on zinc alloy razors on a case by case basis. The following razors we can work on, will powdercoat handle, can plate doors, center rod / T-Bar, knob etc but not guard:
- Black Handled Super Speeds
- Blue Tip/ Light Super Speeds
- 1960's Lady Gillette's
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SENDING IN YOUR RAZOR
- "Add to Cart" this service, check-out and make payment.
- You will purchase Shipping during checkout, this is how we will return your razor after completion.
- You will receive an Order Confirmation E-mail within an hour of purchase. Follow the e-mails instructions and print your Ticket with barcode. Include this form when shipping your razor.
- Send in your razor however you choose - USPS Small Flat Rate box is our recommendation. The postage you have purchased already is for return shipping.
- We'll let you know when we receive your razor and keep you updated during the process.
- Our turn-around time is 3-4 weeks once we receive your razor.
Keep in mind...
Most surface scratches, dings and dents can be either minimized or removed all together through our surface restoration, however deep pitting or other serious metal imperfections can't be removed! These areas will leave texture underneath the plating, and still be visible.We take into consideration the integrity of the metal before aesthetics and sometimes corrosion, pitting or dents are just too deep to safely be removed on parts of the razor. Know that we will do our best to make your razor sparkle and shine, but are limited by what we receive from you.
If your razor does not meet the Premium Finish Revamp standards due to serious corrosion or pitting, you will be contacted before work begins, order changed to Factory Finish, and refunded the difference. If you would prefer a full refund we can issue one minus the cost of return shipping.
We promise to deliver to you a "Shave Ready" razor that has been polished, adjusted, plated, painted, sanitized and lubricated. We guarantee our work for 6 months from the date we ship it back to you, giving you the confidence to enjoy using a quality vintage razor! Please CONTACT US with any other questions!
When I received this razor it was down to the bare metal. Razor Emporium did a spectacular job plating it with Rhodium.
Very nice work and a thank you to everybody!!!
Excellent Job !!!
I had an early TTO open comb gold Gillette Aristocrat Razor, case, and blade bank in poor unusable condition I sent to Razor Emporium for their Razor Revamp service and am very pleased with the work they did for me. My 80 yr old Razor is now very close to the way it was when it was new and has become my favorite daily shaver. Thanks again, James E. Dorry
I've just received my second razor back - as expected, it looks better than new now. However, as a UK customer, I was hit by an addition UK tax after receiving the first razor back.
I'd queried this with the tax office and was advised "You don’t pay VAT or Customs Duty when your things are sent back to you – they must be described as ‘personal belongings’ on the customs declaration."
I asked Razor Emporium on at least two occasions that the second razor be marked as 'personal belongings' when it was sent back and was assured that it would be.
Sadly it was not, so I've again ended up paying an additional charge of £26.82
Matt contacted me and apologized for the error and offered to compensate me.
I'm pleased to say we reached an agreement.
Wow! Very happy with the rhodium plating on my Grandpappy's Gillette "New" model razor. Should be good for another 86+ years! Also want to admit that my cap piece was pretty rough when I sent it in. I had called Matt (he actually answered the phone on his way to work) to get a progress report. He called me back to let me know that they just weren't satisfied with how the cap piece had turned out, so they'd be re-plating it that day. Great customer service, and I'd say these guys absolutely do take pride in their work! 'merica!
I had a 1946-47 Aristocrat revamped recently, and I came back in absolutely pristine condition, with brand new gold plating, looking better than new. I know the “how” of the revamp process, but I’m never not amazed by how good a job the folks at Razor Emporium do. Bravi tutti!
I have recently discovered wet shaving and along the way have purchased several vintage Gillette razors. I have sent 4 of these razors to Matt over the last several months. A Red Tip and a 40’s TTO went in for tune ups and a Slim Adjustable and a Fatboy for revamping. The tune-ups came back looking very nice, everything working smoothly. These razors are my everyday use and they deliver an excellent shave. The Slim Adjustable revamp was done in nickel; the Fatboy was a birth year and quarter adjustable done in Rhodium. Both came back in fantastic condition. I will add the Fatboy was in worn out condition and came out pristine with the Rhodium finish. These 2 will be put up in my collection. On all of these razors, Matt and his staff kept me informed of where the razors were in the process. Matt even called with questions/clarifications on the Fatboy. I am very pleased with the work Matt and his staff has done for me and can recommend them without hesitation for razor work.
I confess I'm already a big fan of DE razors and am proud to include in my adjustable collection a Rex Ambassador as well as a Mergress. When a friend gifted me with a Gillette Slim I was already familiar with Matt's work and decided to go with a revamp with rhodium finish. I appreciated after sending it in the frequent updating of where the razor was in its process. I was totally blown away by the quality of refinishing when I received the razor. Absolutely BETTER than new. Not only that but I was shocked by the extraordinary quality of the shave. The Slim is now in my favorite razor rotation.
I purchased a Gillette Fatboy on ebay that was in good mechanical shape but aesthetically flawed for the purposes of the Razor Emporium Revamp treatment. I opted for the Rhodium finish and couldn't be more pleased. It came out better than expected and shaves wonderfully. I particularly got a kick out of Matt's signature on the inspection card, as he is a bit of a celebrity after binge watching many of his informative YouTube videos. I highly recommend this service for a non-collection-grade razor and look forward to taking advantage of the service again!
As I've come to expect from Razor Emporium, the work they did on my revamp order is extraordinary. The Slim Adjustable I sent in came back with a perfect mirror finish (in rhodium), with every surface glinting, and now it shaves like a dream. I can't recommend this service enough to anyone who has "that special razor" that just deserves a little slice of immortality. Bravi tutti, from a very satisfied and loyal customer!