Have a razor that needs to be fixed, polished and plated in a new metal? Revamp it!
WHAT WE DO
Finding a vintage razor online or at an antique store can be fun and an economical way to try out some of the classic performing models. However what do you do with the pitts, rust, worn plating and broken components that sometimes come with it? We designed our Revamp Service to address all of these issues and deliver to you a vintage razor that looks and functions like it just left the factory floor!
HOW IT WORKS
- We first clean your razor in our industrial ultrasonic machine to remove any soap scum, mineral deposits and grime. Disassembly is carried out for the best results.
- Razor is stripped of original plating using a gentle chemical bath.
- All areas of the razor are then resurfaced; removing minor scratches and minor dents that could have formed over the years.
- Next we carefully polish the inside and out of your razor, bringing the vintage metal up to a high luster.
- Mechanical adjustments are made to ensure the best functionality of your razor.
- We then plate the razor in-house using the desired material of your choice (see below) at 8 micro-inches- thicker than Gillette and nearly 3 times that of any other plating facility today for Rhodium or 24K Gold.
- On all color features (numbers on adjusters, tips on super speeds, black handles, black lines on fatboys, etc.) we use color-matched Powder Coating that exactly replicates the original factory colors and process and is more durable than paint.
- Razors are again cleaned and sanitized before being lubricated and mailed back home. We include a free POLISHING CLOTH that will safely keep the shine on your vintage find!
WHY IT MATTERS
- We fix 'em. As expert collectors, we're qualified to perform mechanical adjustments to make your razor function as it was intended to from the factory wherever possible
- We resurface the metal. Plating alone would be like painting a hail-damaged car
- Longer lasting. We plate 2-3 Times thicker than anyone else
- Razors arrive Shave Ready. We clean, polish, lubricate, paint, test and sanitize all razors before they're sent back to you
- We stand behind our work. If you ever have an issue with your revamped razor, send it to us and we'll make things right
With thousands of razors successfully revamped, we have a fairly good idea of what is achievable from this process. The best results come from razors made of brass or stainless steel. This includes nearly every razor from Gillette and many other vintage brands. We prefer not to work on zinc alloy razors on a case by case basis. The following razors we can work on, will powdercoat handle, can plate doors, center rod / T-Bar, knob etc but not guard:
- Black Handled Super Speeds
- Blue Tip/ Light Super Speeds
- 1960's Lady Gillette's
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SENDING IN YOUR RAZOR
- "Add to Cart" this service, check-out and make payment.
- You will purchase Shipping during checkout, this is how we will return your razor after completion.
- You will receive an Order Confirmation E-mail within an hour of purchase. Follow the e-mails instructions and print your Ticket with barcode. Include this form when shipping your razor.
- Send in your razor however you choose - USPS Small Flat Rate box is our recommendation. The postage you have purchased already is for return shipping.
- We'll let you know when we receive your razor and keep you updated during the process.
- Our turn-around time is 7-10 days on average once we receive your razor.
Keep in mind...
Most surface scratches, dings and dents can be either minimized or removed all together through our surface restoration, however deep pitting or other serious metal imperfections can't be removed! These areas will leave texture underneath the plating, and still be visible.We take into consideration the integrity of the metal before aesthetics and sometimes corrosion, pitting or dents are just too deep to safely be removed on parts of the razor. Know that we will do our best to make your razor sparkle and shine, but are limited by what we receive from you.
If your razor does not meet the Premium Finish Revamp standards due to serious corrosion or pitting, you will be contacted before work begins, order changed to Factory Finish, and refunded the difference. If you would prefer a full refund we can issue one minus the cost of return shipping.
We promise to deliver to you a "Shave Ready" razor that has been polished, adjusted, plated, painted, sanitized and lubricated. We guarantee our work for 6 months from the date we ship it back to you, giving you the confidence to enjoy using a quality vintage razor! Please CONTACT US with any other questions!
I have been a wet shaver for a few years. I did not have any vintage razors, so I started buying a few on eBay. I purchased a Gillette Slim it was not in bad shape but definitely needed some TLC. I cannot believe how good this razor looks. It looks freaking brand new! One razor finished three more to go. Thank you Razor Emporium.
Set in a pretty well used Gillette 109 Adjustable and got it back looking like I just picked it up in the store. Well done!
gillett razor was in very bad shape,the company did a excellent job revamping it,couldnt believe it was the same razor that I sent in
We've sent several 40s type and post-53 Super Speeds for 'Revamping' in factory nickel, so have a good sample to assess from. Quality was generally good and consistent. Their nickel plating is uniform and good thickness, but has a slightly sandy or grainy matte sheen, less mirror-like than original Gillette and competitors (particularly noticeable on the head faces). Never received a response from RE as to why their plating is dissimilar. As long as you are comfortable with it not looking quite like original Gillette plating, it will look like a re-plate job, albeit a quality one. Perhaps their 'premium' metals are better finished to a higher sheen level. All ours (pre-1960 models) were returned with the center bar stop tabs bent straight (to accommodate bar removal), if that is an issue to you. All our razors were sent in mechanically straight, and all were returned aligned and shave-ready. We would be comfortable using them again for re-plating where faithfulness to original appearance is not mandatory. But we would have concerns about examples needing repairs, after an unsatisfactory "Tune-Up' experience on one needing only door adjustments.
Excellent job. My Gillette 195 looks as good as new.
Razor Emporium performed an amazing job on my razor revamp. The rhodium plating is perfect and the razor function is flawless. Razor Emporium created an heirloom for me.
A resurrection ! Thank you so much for your wonderful restoration work !
Second Fat Boy that I've had revamped . A fair price for the work performed , fit of repair to mechanical and finish on re plating are both top quality making these older vintage razors better than new . Process takes a little time but as anything done by hand of skilled craftsmen who take pride in their work the end result is well worth the reasonable wait .
There are some negative reviews about Razor Emporium that I find petty and can only speak of my excellent personal experience with this company and its services .
Matt & crew have always provided great services. Keep it up!